WWDC '19 - Reactions

WWDC '19 - Reactions

Alright, the WWDC '19 keynote is over and we have a lot going on. I’m not going to do a writeup or anything like that, but wanted to get your reactions as to your favorite things you’re looking forward to!

Here are mine:

1. Updated Reminders app – this looks like Reminders just got good. I’ve been using Reminders for quick oneoff tasks I need a notification for, so I’m excited to see what they’ve done with it.
  2. Dark Mode – while I don’t use it everywhere now, dark mode is especially helpful when my eyes are tired.
  3. Siri Neural TTL – This one amazed me that they’re able to fully generate a synthetic voice that sounds real.

My least favorite moment: Tim Cook praising their company for valuing work over family.

3 Likes

I missed that statement.

My favorites:

• Changes to / introduction of iPadOS.
    • Columns in Files
    • Apps in more than one space
  • iOS Dark mode
1 Like

Ah yes this was very exciting! I haven’t really adopted iPad into my workflow very well, so it went lower on my list, but needless to say I’m glad they’re giving the iPad proper treatment!

1 Like

I’m happy to see my iPad finally get major OS improvements. I have an MBP 13" but my iPad’s battery levels will outlast the MBP for most of the work I do. Having multiple windows, multiple instances of an app, and better access to USB external storage devices have been a godsend for me.

I’ve always worried about debris rendering my MBP keyboard inoperable. Using the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard has been a game changer for me. But I did pine for my MBP at times when I wanted to stay with my iPad for portability reasons.

I’ve waited decades for a new mobile solution. One decade ago, I did look longingly at some of my colleagues who carried those severely underpowered Intel Atom sub-notebooks. I remembered them as lightweight and truly portable. I realized that technology hasn’t quite caught up with reality but I’m glad to see iPadOS getting me so much closer to my dream of a mobile device that I can toss into my bag. I don’t worry about overheating notebooks in my travel bag anymore. The iPad does almost everything I need.

2 Likes

I’m already using iPAD as my main driver using a bluetooth keyboard from few months now. I’ve had to bite my tongue with file sharing but combination of Google Drive & Resilio Sync has helped with file transfers need if any.

A Mouse will really help to connect it to an external monitor and click away when needed at times to do word / excel editing (which is a real pain).

PS : I use This stand which puts the iPad at my eye level to avoid neck pains

3 Likes

Agreed, so much of productivity talk is about doing better work in less time. And in the management world the ‘flexible work schedule’ , ‘work/life balance’ , and ‘stress management’ seem counter to Tim. Also, must say there patting themselves on the back got to be a bit much. Humility seemed to be lacking, let the products and services speak for themselves.

1 Like

I mean I totally understand when you’re in release mode with a deadline, stuff has to get done. Sometimes you make sacrifices during that time period, but not for a sustained time. In retrospective, I don’t know if Tim was talking about the month prior to WWDC, or the last year in entirety. If the former, I think some of the criticism may be unwarranted, but definitely valid if the latter.

1 Like