Ways I’m Trying to Increase Being Present

Ways I’m Trying to Increase Being Present

(Justin DiRose) #1

Originally published at: https://productivityguild.com/2019/ways-im-trying-to-increase-being-present/

I value building strong, healthy, connected relationships with people I care about. I also enjoy using technology in a lot of different ways. Sometimes it feels to me like technology and building these relationships are at odds with each other. If I’m not careful, I can find myself getting sucked into the infinite information stream…

(Wilson Ng) #2

I love carrying a notebook now. If I can’t have a notebook, I’ll keep a stack of index cards held together by a binder clip with a mini pen in different places. There’s one in my car. Another clip is at home and at the office. If I forget my notebook, I’ll always have my clip and mini pen.

I’ve found that I lose the feeling of being present when I need to interrupt a conversation to whip out my iPhone and try to type in a Drafts note. I’d rather have a notebook or clip and scribble as best as I can any notes that I need to capture from a conversation. Later, I’ll transcribe my notes from the index cards or notebook to my Agenda app for archival purposes. Afterwards, I’ll make projects and/or tasks into OmniFocus and calendar events in Fantastical.

Staying with pen and paper has helped me stay in the present. Otherwise, people will think I’m distracted by a tweet notification or something else.