Trello users?

Trello users?

(Avrum Nadigel) #1

Something about Things, Omnifocus… I just can’t get wrap my head around the gestalt of all that’s going on in my life. More specifically, what I’m MOST committed to doing seems to get lost in all of these project/task management apps. I think Trello might fit the bill. I’m thinking about three columns:

1. Backlog
  2. Current System (Borrowed from Scott Adam’s terminology)
  3. Done

Anyone else using Trello as their 1-stop shop software? Would love to hear how you’re using it.

(Wilson Ng) #2

I’d love to see a Trello workflow myself. There’s another app called FireTask that seems to have some kind of Trello board styled interface too.

http://www.firetask.com

I downloaded a trial demo a year ago. Seemed nice enough. But I’m firmly ensconced in the OmniFocus ecosystem.

I think I’ll be using Trello when I need to work in a collaborative environment once again.

I know that Trello has a free sign-up. Have you tried it yourself?

There are quite a few Trello tutorials to try on YouTube.

ScreenCasts Online has a 44 minute tutorial here.

(shookfoil) #3

Hi #Avrum,
I use Trello but for me it just doesn’t work as my one-stop-shop because it is too easy for priorities and cards to get overlooked.
I work with a team and we have clear card labelling protocols and a ‘Kanban wannabe’ board protocol but we still find it challenging to keep up with everything. It’s tempting and it looks as though it should work, but so far I haven’t been able to get it to do so.

(Wilson Ng) #4

I"m so lazy. I just use a cork board and index cards to move stuff around. It’s physical and gives me that sense of control that “digital” doesn’t give me. There’s no sense of control moving digital bits on the screen for me. But the index card and cork board has that physical feedback that I love.

I know how you feel. Looking at my life in list form sometimes doesn’t reveal itself to me. Maybe it’s a matter of using different tools for different parts of your life? I wished I could have a one stop shop but I can’t seem to gronk it either.

I have a mind map for my goals and my task manager for the daily tasks and routines. I have a paper notebook for my Most Important Tasks (MITs) that I grabbed from my task manager.

(Isadore Braun) #5

Your approach doesn’t sound lazy at all!

Zenkit and a few other recent services offer multiple views on one’s data, including Trello-like kanban boards. I find that very interesting.

(Justin DiRose) #7

I’ve been experimenting with Airtable for a kanban view of my editorial calendar. It works great but sadly the kanban view isn’t in the iOS app for some reason.

(Marwood) #8

I use both Trello and Microsoft Planner for project and team planning, both internally in my company and externally with clients. It works well, but requires a fair degree of discipline, more than Omnifocus for me.

I have two main approaches. The first has each card representing a single task, and organised into three stacks - Backlog, In Progress and Done. I also often add a stack for Notes and for Percolating/Stalled. This is analogous to a single board representing a project, and a card representing an action (Using GTD terminology).

The second approach is to use a card for a project and a checklist within the card for actions. I tend to use this for more complex projects.

Apologies for having to mask the text, this has client data.

Complex

Simple