This is London Calling

This is London Calling

(Marwood) #1

Hi, I’m James. I’m a consultant for a little boutique consultancy, based in the UK. I’m mostly based in London, but I spend a lot of time travelling.

I got involved with productivity around 2003/4, after messing up a lot at work, and being told, to sort my stuff out. A colleague threw me a copy of GTD, and it went from there. 15 or so years later, I’d still consider myself a slightly advanced beginner.

I cam across this site, looking for a quality intro for GTD for an old university friend. I miss the old Wiki article, which was really useful.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

That’s a deep question. If we’re talking across my whole life, and disallowing fundamental things like language, then it’s probably that it’s OK to be eccentric. I’d be a lot less happy if I tried to keep that bottled up.

If we’re talking productivity, it’s that there’s no point in trying to keep work and non-work systems separate. I don’t have hard lines between the two. My work thoughts follow me home and my home thoughts follow me to work. I can’t see how they’d not.

(Beck Tench) #2

Welcome, James. :slight_smile:

I agree w/your two lessons and appreciate how thoughtful they are.

(Marwood) #3

Thanks Beck, much appreciated.

(Wilson Ng) #4

Yes, the notion of work-life balance has blurred so much. They complement each other like yin and yang. The work life puts food on the table. But if I can use my creative energy in work, the rewards will cross-stream into my personal life. I’m more gratified when I’m able to help others in work life and personal life.

Thanks for the reminder!

(Justin DiRose) #5

Welcome James!

There’s nothing more powerful than being your honest, authentic self. It’s hard to be okay with that sometimes, but a fantastic journey to pursue.

I tried to keep my systems separate and ran into that exact problem. It’s best if you can keep them cohesive (barring any work policies not to do that). So much easier to keep track of and less review time to keep up to date.