The Future of Mac Apps

The Future of Mac Apps

(Wilson Ng) #1

Apple’s WWDC 2018 announced a toolkit for developers that will make it easier to port iOS apps over to MacOS. This is a promising development for Mac users everywhere. Many developers have been creating apps for iOS because there are more iPhone and iPad users than there are Mac users. We may start seeing a steady stream of apps arrive in the Mac Ap Store when the toolkit is released in 2019.

I hate having apps that don’t have feature parity on the Mac and on iOS. This toolkit should alleviate that disparity. Keeping feature parity between platforms is tough. Ulysses has done a good job maintaining features. The Omnigroup has been trying to maintain separate base code and have actually gotten closer to getting feature parity for OmniFocus on iOS and Mac.

Apple showed a demo of Apple News, Home, Voice Memo, and the Stock app being ported over to the Mac. Some of the user interface issues can be ported over easily. But other MacOS-specific UI elements such as menu bars, window resizing, and the toolbar will need to be created to accommodate Mac users.

I would like to see my Mac apps and iOS finally being feature-equal. I can use my favorite apps on either an iPad, iPhone, or my Mac. This looks like a way for iOS developers to get into the Mac app market and give us a wider variety choices on either platforms. I’m looking forward to seeing this new venture come to fruition.

Here’s an article that talks a little bit more about the UIKit that will be included in MacOS Mojave.

Personally, I’d love to see OmniFocus looking and feeling the same on both Mac and iOS. What iOS apps would you like to see finally come over to the Mac?

Items of note:

1. You Can Avoid Multitasking When You Focus on These 3 Things - Productivityist

Focus is one aptitude that comes the hard way through practice. It also happens to be one of the single most precious aptitudes you can develop.

Think about it… You don’t have to be the best or brightest, the fastest or fiercest, the strongest or scrappiest, if you can simply avoid multi-tasking, focus on one task, and finish it. Then, repeat. Then, calculate the compound effect of quiet, persistent execution over time.

Focus is precious. Focus is to achievement what chisels are to sculptors.

1. Bullet Journaling with GoodNotes 4
    Eugene Fischer has a great overview of how he uses his iPad Pro and GoodNotes 4 to bullet journal.

2. Building a Newsletter With Ulysses
    Ben Brooks describes his process for using Ulysses sheets and merges to create his newsletters, showing a great use of the tool’s features.

Once there I create three new sheets:

Intro
Closing
Begging for money
I then place those where they need to be in the order and select all the sheets I want to include in the newsletter, and merge them to one sheet.

1. The Joys of Writing Slow | A Life of Productivity
    Wouldn’t it be better if we all slowed down?

Writing (or doing anything else) slowly and consistently won’t only make you more prolific—it also makes what you’re doing more fun. You get to savor your work, and tasks stop being an obligation. You enjoy the process so much more.

Quote of the week:

A person who is nice to you, but rude to the water, is not a nice person - Dave Barry

The next time you have a meal with someone, see how they treat the waitstaff. When frustrated with the service or the meal, you’ll see another side of the person. Does he consider that the waiter might be overloaded with work and becomes sympathetic? Or does he start a cuss-storm and makes outrageous demands? That might give you a window into how that person might treat you if you have to deal with them in a work or social setting.

Tools worth your time:

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-i1601fwux-Extremely-Portable-1920x1080/dp/B06Y8SSQG5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527310660&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+i1601fwux+16-Inch+IPS+Extremely+Slim+USB-C+Powered+Portable+Monitor%2C+1920x1080+Res%2C+5ms%2C+Smart+Cover%2FStand

I saw this article on 9to5toys about this portable monitor that can connect to your USB-C equipped Mac.

There are times when I take my MacBook Pro 13" on the road and wished I had an extra monitor. This portable monitor is powered by your USB-C port and adds a 16" screen for your working pleasure.

I’m not sure about its durability yet so it might be a good idea to find a clamshell case to hold this $200 investment.

Challenge for the week:

One way to measure your success is by using a time tracker to gauge your progress. If you can’t measure your progress, it makes it difficult to achieve your goals when you’re just wasting time. What tools do you use for your time tracking needs? A calendar? A pomodoro timer? A time tracking app? Share with us some of your favorite tools!

Still on Peak
(Wilson Ng) #2

Here’s a deeper dive from The Verge about the challenges behind porting iOS apps to Mac.

Will we see more iOS user friendly interface styled apps in MacOS?