Taking on a side-job while still working on your day job

Taking on a side-job while still working on your day job

Sean McCabe has a book called Overlap to help others build up a side job while still working at your day job. You can read it online for free here:

https://seanwes.com/book/

Or you can also buy a hard copy if you prefer to read a physical book:

https://www.amazon.com/Overlap-Start-Business-Working-Full-Time-ebook/dp/B074JDK98G

Becoming a remote worker or free agent is scary. I’m finding a lot to like in this book. Instead of just turning in y our walking papers to The Boss and trying to go solo, it might make sense to dip your toes into the waters. Practice your passion continuously. If you make a little extra money on the side, that’s a great bonus!

I love my day job but I also have other interests that I can’t pursue. I spend much of my off-hours with my family and working on passion projects. Develop your skills slowly over time. Then you never know if an opportunity comes up and you start getting noticed because other people are starting to discover about your hobbies.

I have a friend that works in a corporate environment. But he spends his free time making beautiful jewelry pieces. He started small and did it to keep himself occupied. Now, it’s starting to become a thing for him. He’s hitting some of the weekend street market events and making a small profit from his love. I don’t know how far he will take it but it’s starting to become a serious thing. He might just escape the corporate world and go down a new road.

Many of us have the little passion project or interest that we’ve always wanted to pursue. Read the book or listen to the YouTube intro here:

I have other interests outside of my day job and I’m starting to pursue them. What have you done to create overlap in your life?

2 Likes

Going completely solo is a scary adventure. Trying to step out of my comfort zone (the day job) and sticking my toe into the waters a step at a time does help me build confidence. I get to practice something else and get better every day.

1 Like