Principles by Ray Dalio

Principles by Ray Dalio

(Joe Buhlig) #1

I’ve had this one recommended by a couple friends at this point. It looks solid. I have it on my books-to-read list but would be interested in the Pro members take on it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Life-Work-Ray-Dalio/dp/1501124021/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508500478&sr=1-1&keywords=principals+ray+dalio

(Joe Buhlig) #2

(Joe Buhlig) #3

Here’s our book club choice for January 2018!

https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Life-Work-Ray-Dalio/dp/1501124021/ref=sr_1_1?tag=joebuhlig-20

If you’re new to the Pro Guild, be sure to check out how the book club works.

(Justin DiRose) #4

This reminds me of a recent James Clear article I read on the First Principles approach. It’s how Elon Musk thinks.

(Josh Rensch) #5

@joebuhlig Cheater!!!

(Joe Buhlig) #6

If you want some background on Ray Dalio, I found a podcast interviewing him that does a decent job pulling out some of Ray’s history. It’s also kind of nice to get a feel for the author by hearing his voice.

(Justin DiRose) #7

I’m not sure about you all, but I’m really digging this book so far. Almost 1/3 through and I started 2 days ago.

(Joe Buhlig) #8

I’m with you. Are you past his life story and on to the principles themselves? I had to create a new tag in Bear to start collecting ideas for my own principles.

(Justin DiRose) #9

Just got started on that section last night. I’ll be going through my Kindle highlights :scream: after I finish the book.

(Joe Buhlig) #10

(Wilson Ng) #11

I wouldn’t know how to report on this book. I’m halfway through the book and there’s a lot of highlights in my ebook version. I think this is one of those books that I could actually read again and again and not get tired of it.

Lots of nuggets to dwell on when I’m looking for guidance. It feels like it’s structured like a book of quotations or, dare I say, the Bible. I can flip to any chapter and read a passage. Then dwell on it and let it sink it. I think I can actually make another Day One journal that focuses on my reflective thinking about a chapter in the book and maybe record my own take. But now that I think about it, I might just finally return to a paper journal and write my thoughts there. There’s something about pen and paper that reminds me of the Morning Pagesk and the impact of writing with pen and paper instead of typing my reflections.

This will be an interesting journey… :thinking:

(Joe Buhlig) #12

I think this is borderline his intent. He seems to want it to be possible to read his life story and then skim the remainder as a base understanding while allowing you to come back and read individual pieces more deeply.

So I have it sitting near my desk as a reference from time to time. :wink: