Hello, fellow productivity aficionados!
I am curious what podcast apps everyone uses around here. I really like using podcasts as one of my main methods for research and learning. I especially like them for making productive use of my time in my car.
A few years back, after realizing I wanted to be able to listen to my podcasts at a higher speed, my productivity mindset made me look into all the podcast app options that were out there since the apple podcast app did not have variable speed at the time. After trying out a few podcasts options I ended up settling on Pocket Casts.
I hear a lot of people in the apple community really like the Overcast app too. I have tried it myself and do think it is very good app in many respects. However, I just find some little details that Pocket Casts offers work better for me and make me more productive in consuming my podcasts. Here are a few in particular:
- I can search new my new release list across all my subscribed episodes more efficiently.
- I can flag important episodes using the star label.
- I can more efficiently add episodes to my up next queue.
Now, Pocket Casts has just released a new update which is a pretty major overhaul of the UI and added some great new features. Some of my favorites are:
- New siri shortcut integrations!
- Desktop app syncs up next playlist with mobile app
- Swipe functions have made adding episodes to up next list even quicker.
I am very curious to know what Pocket Casts’ future holds. They were acquired by NPR back in May in 2018. While this raised some initial concerns with some fans, Pocket Casts creator assured his community that this will simply allow him to take the app to next level. I think this new update is definitely a sign that the app is, in fact, moving in the right direction.