London Calling

London Calling

(Hazbro) #1

Tell us who you are and what you do.

Hi there. My name’s Harry. I’m a Londoner (born and bred) and I work in real estate. Oh, and I mean the real London, not that imposter in Canada (just kidding, I love our Canadian cousins).

How did you first get into the productivity world?

It’s probably cliched but 43 Folders. I actually hadn’t even heard of Getting Things Done until I discovered Merlin’s site. Merlin’s brain seem to work like mine and he seemed to have the same struggles. Naturally I read GTD and while the implementation details are always changing, I still think the bedrock of that methodology and way of thinking are so crucial. Then I heard about OmniFocus, and went out bought my first Mac just so I could use it. Since then I feel like I’ve been on an evolving path of just trying to get a bit better every day. I’m not perfect, but I keep plugging away.

How did you find the Guild?

I’m not going to lie, I only found out about this place because I heard about the Kourosh Dini competition. Who doesn’t like free stuff?

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

To stop being so hard on myself. I spent my whole life being told I was lazy (and to be fair, I probably was) but when, as an adult, I got diagnosed with ADHD and started to treat the underlying problem, I’ve come to realise I’d internalised a lot of that and it had held me back. I’m not perfect, nobody is, and if I screw up today and don’t get much accomplished that doesn’t mean I can’t get up tomorrow morning and try again. In the past I’d have let it get to me personally, been quick to criticise myself and all that ever did was hold me back from picking myself up, dusting myself off and trying again. It’s an old cliche, but if at first you don’t succeed, try try again is probably the truest thing I’ve ever heard.