Kevin's Goals for Jun1 - Aug24

Kevin's Goals for Jun1 - Aug24

Hey dudes,

My goals for the summer (June 1 - August 24). I am listing four. Mostly because the forth one doesn’t require too much work … just a reminder to take about 15-minutes a day to practice music.

1. Do work that I’m proud of on my current consulting gig.
  2. Get my class for Fall semester completely planned out before the semester starts.
  3. Reinvigorate my blog as a consistently updated, professional publication.
  4. Return to form as a drummer so I can start gigging again.

(guildbot) #2

Hmmm… Do you think you could go bigger? I like to see people stretch.

(Joe Buhlig) #3

Those sound like some fun ones. Where do I find said blog?

Yeah. Should be a fun summer. The blog has been languishing here since around 2005. I figure that I need to either make it work now or move on.

Also, if you have any thoughts on keeping a blog consistent and good, I’m all ears! :ear::ear::ear::ear:

(Joe Buhlig) #6

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

Post at least once weekly. If you can, write 1,000 original words in each article. That’s it. Obviously, I’ve been terrible at this since December but I know it works great to keep folks coming back.

(Josh Rensch) #7

Kevin-

Thanks for posting. As someone who helps a few people reach their goals, I have some questions for you. The first one should be a why for each of these goals. If you don’t tie it to an emotion, you will struggle keeping them consistent.

Here are my questions on each one, take them with a grain of salt.

1. Why are you currently not proud of your work? What can you do to fix that?
  2. What does it mean to be completely planned out? Also are you going to leave margin in your plan for the unexpected?
  3. Why did you stop in the first place?
  4. How are you going to prioritize drumming?

If they are too personal, don’t worry about it. More curious than anything else.

Ok. So the plane never quite left the runway. Maybe didn’t make it to the runway. Just burst into flames on the taxiway. Turns out that it wasn’t even a plane. It was a dumpster. And it was on fire. :call_me_hand:

What happened?

A couple things:

1. Was swept up into a freelance project that became bigger and less predictable than I expected.
  2. I allowed myself to get swept up into productivity app organizing and switching and otherwise time-wasting.
  3. I stalled on figuring out the actual planning out and implementation the goals and the weekly steps…but also the higher level mission and values stuff.

Summer is half over. The freelance project is on hold. I’ve got myself paralyzed with approaching higher level stuff, goals, and even which tools to use and how to use them.

Allies. I’m turning to you. HALP!

(Wilson Ng) #9

I think if a person is just starting out on goal planning (like the 12 week year method), I’d suggest starting small. After the 12 weeks are up, we can get a better idea of our capacity or figure out along the way any kinks that need to be ironed out so we can get the 12 week year method going faster.

If I had to learn cooking, I’m gonna start small by learning how to bake a cake. I don’t know if I’m confident enough in handling a 12 course meal when I’m just getting started.

The four goals that @KevinR has on his plate sounds like a reasonable number to start off with.

It probably helps to have guest bloggers come in to contribute every once in a while. I’m amazed at how much work goes into writing a blog or producing a podcast on a weekly basis. @joebuhlig amazes me with how many podcasts he’s juggling. I’d be out of breath and wheezing for air.

I had a database project that went wildly out of control with complex workflows and overloaded features. I think it helps to scale back and start with one small part of the project. Get that released into the wild. Then real world experience can re-shape future goals and possibly take you down a slightly different path or even a divergent path that you didn’t see coming. Re-iterate with another new feature added on top of it to make it version 1.1 and then see where that path takes you. I know the general direction and I can plan out most of the major milestones. But I only really need to flesh out the first few miles on the map before I can think of the next leg. So I spent time planning out the first 10 next actions on my project and got that released to see what works, what needed a little more work, or to see if I need to rethink what I worked on. It’s all about the baby steps.

I remembered stalling out because I was looking so far ahead and was so scared about how much longer I had to go to get there. It felt like a marathon. I should’ve just been worried about the next mile instead of the whole 26 miles. I felt better when I only had to worry about the next mile (or the next 10 steps in the project). I had small milestones and in-progress goalposts to achieve first before I can see the final product.

(guildbot) #10

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @guildbot display help.

(guildbot) #12

I currently know how to do the following things:

@guildbot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@guildbot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@guildbot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@guildbot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

(Joe Buhlig) #13

@KevinR, have you tried doing a brain dump? I know that when I’m stressing out over my workload or feeling like I’m not working on the right projects that sitting down with pen and paper to clear it out helps. I’m terrible at noticing when I need to do this but when I take the time it gives me a sense of clarity that was desperately needed. In your case, I wonder if that would show you the direction to start.

:wink: Systems my dear friend. Systems.

Also, @wilsonng, looks like you’ve met the bot. For fun, send it a private message and you can play around with it.

@guildbot quote

(guildbot) #14

:left_speech_bubble: Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss by going too fast — you also miss the sense of where you are going and why. — Eddie Cantor