Just an update

Just an update

(Joe Buhlig) #1

Sometimes words don’t flow. And sometimes it’s best to simply give an update. That’s what today’s newsletter is all about.

What I’m reading

What’s Best Next by Matt Perman

I’ve wanted to dive into this for a number of weeks now. I’m about 70 pages in and can already tell this is going to have a pretty big impact on me.

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker

Nothing new to report here on this one. It’ll remain on the list for three to four more weeks as my study of it continues.

Podcasts

BW - 43: Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Mike and Joe have mentioned Mihaly way too often. So it’s about time they covered his book and discussed it directly.

WTW - 20: That’s Too Many Emails, Man

An old topic (from episode 1!) resurfaces. Joe’s been testing out Setapp and gives his perspective. Then, the two talk new apps, email, and when distraction turns into addiction.

Books added to the list

Unstuck by Matt Perman

This is on pre-order right now and doesn’t come out until May. But since I’m liking What’s Best Next by Matt, I figured it would be good to read his next book as well.

Interesting Productivity Guild topics

I’m doing some planning work on the Guild to help it stay relevant and consistent in the near future. I’ve learned that I’m not near as reliable with writing as I would like and as such, the Guild has suffered.

Words That Challenge

Is There a Distinctively “Christian” Way to Be a Bus Driver?

I can’t say the question is answered to the extent I would like it to be, but the question and the conversation around it is one that’s becoming more of an interest to me lately.

Tim Wu on the Tyranny of Convenience - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

I wonder if this is why I’ve been drawn to doing projects with a handsaw and grinding coffee with a manual coffee grinder.

Experiments

I’m in a pretty good place at the moment but I can see that my current book choices are very likely going to give me some new things to play around with and soon.

If you'd like these in your email, you can either subscribe here on the Guild or via my website.

(Wilson Ng) #2

Looking forward to seeing some new content here! I think a forum is best when there are active participant who can chime in almost almost anything - a question, an observation, goal sharing, or highlighting an “aha” moment that led to a personal discovery.

I’m also catching up on my podcasts but have been finding myself reducing the number of podcasts that I’m listening to, the number of follows on Twitter and Facebook, and just general curating online and in real life. It’s amazing how much signal comes in to our lives. A year ago, it would take me 45 minutes just to catch up on my Twitter timeline. Reducing the number of follows has dropped it down to 15 minutes. My RSS feeds have also been reduced down as well. I’ve discovered that Reddit and Quora are places I can live without. It’s interesting to read at times but becomes futile with all the crap floating in those areas. Reducing the topics I followed to just the topics I truly care about or just eliminating those newsfeed sources altogether has brought some clarity back into my life. Of course, it’s a constant struggle. I think I sense that you’ve been trying to refocus lately. We through out a bunch of fishing lines to see what nibbles. Then we slowly start dropping the lines that aren’t as appealing to our core values.

I wonder what other people are doing to refocus?