Help Figuring Out My System

Help Figuring Out My System

(Jonathan Ball) #1

I’ve put thought into this over the last few days and I have come up with a system that I believe will work best for me. I just can’t figure out how to implement it. Here is what I want:

1. Task Manager-- this will be for storing tasks and projects
  2. Calendar-- I would like to schedule my most important tasks but I don’t want every task being shown
  3. Paper planner or notebook–use for planning my day and checking things off throughout the day.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

(Justin DiRose) #2

I think this is a really good start, @jondavid82. Have you thought about the routines you’ll need to keep this system going?

This would be things like making sure all your lists/calendar are up to date, clearing out irrelevant information, and capturing/processing new tasks.

(Jonathan Ball) #3

I would implement a daily/weekly review. This would ensure nothing is falling through the cracks. This will enable me to both plan the following day and get a larger picture of the following week.

(Jonathan Ball) #4

Another thing to note…I have a lot of repeating tasks and not necessarily projects that I want to keep up with. I typically have only 1 project per period (month) at work. The rest is like: place change order, complete opening checklist, place wine order, etc…
I don’t need a system that is heavy on projects but is more in depth than the native Apple reminders app.

(Jonathan Ball) #5

Also to note…sorry, trying to get everything out of my head. I am unsure of what notebook I want to use. I have experimented with the Full Focus Planner and Bullet Journal. Both bring things I enjoy but something still feels off. Can’t really tell what it is.

(Wilson Ng) #6

I like doing the Bullet Journal with a dot grid planner. You can take a look at some of the other pre-designed planners and take cues from them to create your own notebook.

I put tasks that needs to be done on a particular day and time on the calendar. I bypass the task manager completely for these tasks. Dental appointments, performing a task at a certain time (medication every 4 hours, taking a sunset photo at 5:45 pm, and delivering documents at 2:30 pm are calendar items.

I keep the task manager to store tasks that don’t have to be done at a certain time. I look at the list of available tasks that I can do and then schedule a time block in my calendar app to get it done. If a task doesn’t get scheduled, it probably won’t get done and just stays in the task manager.

If I have free discretionary time, I’ll check the task manager for any available tasks within a context/tag such as @Home or `@Computer’.

At the end of the day, I review tomorrow’s calendar and choose the 3 most important tasks to work on tomorrow. I try to find a time block in between the appointments to fit them in. I wrote those 3 tasks in the notebook.

Then I put away the task manager (hide application or Command-H) and work off the notebook. I don’t like going back to my task manager because I might get distracted from the 3 tasks I already chose.

I have my Due app on the iPhone to nag me to do an end-of-the day review at 2 hours before closing. That usually gives me enough time to go through my daily review. It nags me every 30 minutes to get to it. I might be busy or pre-occupied at that time. I leave the office at 6:30 pm. That would mean the first Due app notification starts at 4:30 pm. Then it repeats every 30 minutes until I mark it as complete. It usually takes me 10-30 minutes to do the actual review. The 2 hour window is a good enough buffer for me to get it done. YMMV.

(Jonathan Ball) #7

Thank you so much for the insight! I like the idea of scheduling tasks on my calemdar. If you don’t mind me asking, which notebook are you currently using?

(Wilson Ng) #8

I am currently just using a regular lined notebook. I use it to scribble drawings, take notes, write my 3 tasks. It’s an A5 size. Take it with me whenever I can’t use the iPhone for Drafts dictation or at a meeting.

I feel more professional when I use a notebook. Someone might think I’m texting someone else when I’m reaching for the phone.

When I’m finished with my current notebook, I want an A5 dot grid notebook.