Hello from Ohio

Hello from Ohio

(Paul Conaway) #1

Tell us who you are and what you do.

I’m 52 years old and a computer programmer. My current job title is Data Administration Manager.

How did you first get into the productivity world?

I started out with Franklin Covey planners. I haven’t found a system that meshes well with me.

How did you find the Guild?

Joe Bulig mentioned it on the Mac Power Users Podcast.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

Perfect is the enemy of done well. - Take success when it comes to you and strive to be better next time.

(Wilson Ng) #2

OMG, I loved my Franklin Planner during my college years! I had the Classic size and the Pocket size. When I’m done with my current notebooks, I’m thinking of buying a Franklin and use it as my daily planner together with OmniFocus.

In college, I was too naive to understand all that GTD stuff. I just kinda winged it with my daily schedule. Wished GTD was around back then. I probably would’ve made better use of the Franklin Planner.

(Paul Conaway) #3

I enjoyed using them too but i seemed to always be transferring most of my tasks from one day to the next. :frowning: The David Allen GTD was a great help.

(Beck Tench) #4

I used to use the student-themed Daytimer. I loved it.

(Paul Conaway) #5

I’m still trying to find a system that I can stick to.

(Justin DiRose) #6

Welcome @pmconaway!

Awesome – I’m primarily a web developer. What languages/applications do you primarily work in?

What have you been struggling with the most? What are you currently using to get by?

(Joe Preiser) #7

I’m in a similar situation. I have switched back from purely digital to a hybrid system making use of Omnifocus, Apple Calendar, and a Full Focus Planner. So far so good.

(Paul Conaway) #8

I’m currently using Omnifocus as my app of choice. Here is my situation. My job as Data manager is sort of business analysis, sort of programmer, sort of report writer. My first challenge is that I’m on a PC, Office 365. I provide support for a couple of web applications. Email’s, phone calls to interrupt my planed day. :slight_smile: I watch one of Asian Efficiency’s free webinars “How to get a years worth of work done in the next 30 days” they had some good tips and I’ve tried to implement some of the suggestions in the webinar. I’ve made progress. Part of the issue is that my system seems separated. I’ve got emails coming in that I mark as tasks to follow up on. I then put those in OF. I’m also trying to plan the tasks I want to complete each day. I do this on a 4x6 lined post-it note before I leave the day before. That has lowered my anxiety about having too much to do and not feeling organized. I don’t feel I have a cohesive system yet.

Paul

(Paul Conaway) #9

I’m no currently writing a lot of code these days. Mostly SQL to pull data from the primary oracle databases. Most recently I’ve been converting Microstrategy reports (Business Intelligence app) into Tableau. The team I’m a part of, our primary app is SAS EG (SAS enterprise guide).

I’m teaching my self python and would like to develop in Swift on my Mac. I’ve also been thinking about becoming a full stack web developer.

Paul

(Wilson Ng) #10

One day, could you post up something about the Full Focus Planner and how you use it? I’d love to explore this a little more. Thanks!

(Justin DiRose) #11

Full stack web development is fun, just saying :slight_smile:

Sounds like you have a lot of varied experience, though!

(Paul Conaway) #12

Yes, I started on Cobol and CICS back in the late 80’s. I done a little bit of everything. :slight_smile: