Hello from Atlanta

Hello from Atlanta

(John Johnson) #1

Tell us who you are and what you do.

I’m a PhD student trying to keep all the plates in the air between teaching, doing research, writing, reading, …

How did you first get into the productivity world?

I think I started with OF2 early in its life, went around the world (Agenda, Things, etc.) and now am back to OF3.

How did you find the Guild?

Probably by way of Kourosh Dini’s twitter account.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

Doing meaningful things is hard, but gratifying. Doing easy things isn’t (usually) gratifying.

(Beck Tench) #2

I’m a PhD student, too. Welcome!

What are you studying?

(John Johnson) #3

Hi Beck!
Took a look at your website. Interesting work you’re doing. I’m reading Kourosh Dini’s Workflow Mastery now, and your use of the word contemplative makes me think you might be interested in it too.

My research is about how motor and sensory differences after amputation change the ways that people with amputation think about and perform reach and grasp tasks using prostheses. By studying this in people with amputation, we can gain insight into how these processes work for intact people, as well as clinical populations like stroke survivors.

(Beck Tench) #4

Hi John – your research sounds important and interesting! Do you ever come across the body’s storage of trauma when you’re reading about or designing prostheses? I have only recently started to understand how the body can override cognitive processes with its own powerful emotional and psychological loops.

Can you say a couple sentences about what you’re learning from the eBook and how it’s related to contemplative? The preview link on his website isn’t working. Thanks!

(John Johnson) #5

Hm. Interesting. I searched for the root contemplat in Workflow Mastery and didn’t find it. Nonetheless, it is a very contemplative process in that he thinks in detail about not only the process of working, but the peripheral things that can aid or impede the work process. For example, ones work environment and how it affects our ability to work, our intentions and how they affect our work. Also how to curate both environment and intention, etc.

I recommend (as he does) by starting with Being Productive.

I’m not sure how the body would store trauma. Certainly it can be affected by trauma (my own body is testament to that) in the form of injury, damage to physiological processes, etc. As far as storing trauma, I don’t know that there is a mechanism, nor how that whole process would work. Cognitive processes can and do affect the body, of course, such as feeling homesick as one example.

As far as overriding cognitive processes, emotional and psychological loops, not aware of that either. Certainly the body releases hormones that affect the brain, but it sounds like you’re ascribing some higher-level processing and perhaps cognition to the body. The most intelligent (if you will) part of the non-CNS body is the enteric nervous system that is responsible for digestion. It is sophisticated enough to continue digestive processes even if it is removed from the body and sustained with a blood supply. Its efficiency is reduced, but still very awe inspiring.

I’m happy to be proven wrong on any of the above :slight_smile:

(Beck Tench) #6

Hi John,

I’m referring to conditions like PTSD where sensory triggers override frontal lobe activity and the limbic system takes over. Figuring those needing prostheses might be more likely to have such traumas and that might affect studying about how they think about, perform, and describe their behaviors. Even or especially when language is hard to access when the frontal lobe is “offline.”

And thanks for the recommendation on Dini. I saw Being Productive when I was poking about his site this morning as well.

Beck

(Justin DiRose) #7

Welcome @JohnAtl!

This sounds like a lot for sure. What have you found effective in doing so?

I also wanted to chime in to state how I thought the conversation on this topic between you and @10ch is great!