I have some changed goals coming from changes in my productivity and daily routine setup:
- bring more focus to my work using 12WY with my team
- continue to work on being more focussed throughout my day
The past two weeks over the holidays have been my regular “yearly gtd review and startup” weeks. Every new year I take some time to fine-tune my omnifocus/gtd routine, and do my yearly review. What makes this work for me is that apart from smaller tweaks during my quarterly reviews I generally leave my setup alone for the rest of the year. I do this to keep myself from “productively tweaking my productivity” all year long.
This year I’ve made the following changes to add simplicity and focus, mostly due to the omnifocus 3 release earlier in 2018:
- I’ve deleted all but a handful of perspectives;
- Changed the few ones I kept to show specific tagged items, not projects
I created only 2 new perspectives:
- a “today” perspective,showing available items, due today, flagged items or those tagged with “do!”
- an “available” perspective showing all available items that are not tagged with media tags (read/listen/watch) or “idea” tags
To “switch off from work” every night before I start to cook dinner for my family I use an iOS shortcut to:
- unflag all items in OF (would be nice to automate that with JSA sometime this year)
- look at the “available” perspective and choose the items I want/need to do the next day and flag them
- look at the next day in my calendar to copy them into my hardcopy planner, and to see if there are additional actions I might need to add to OF
- log my day’s events in day one
I’ve also changed my lists/projects setup in OF to reflect areas of focus, and made a more clear separation between single action lists and projects
Doing this all has made it possible to simplify my productivity setup and at the same time creating more clarity and focus in the actions I do each day.
For now, things seem to work great, I actually spend more time on meaningful work, get things done faster and with more quality, and have more time available for my friends and family. So I’m happy as things are.
Any improvements I see while I work with the system, I just put into OF tagged with “idea” and leave alone until the next quarterly (for smaller tweaks) or yearly review.
A productive and happy 2019 to all!