Experience with a Day Timer

Experience with a Day Timer

(Jonathan Ball) #1

Does anyone have any experience with using a Day Timer? I had recently been using Michael Hyatt’s Full Focus Planner but I can’t justify spending $45 every quarter on a new one. Seems like the day timer follows the same prickles but lasts a year.

(Justin DiRose) #2

What are some things you’re looking to get out of a paper planner?

(Jonathan Ball) #3

Structure–I have tried the Bullet Journal and it didn’t last long because of the absence of structure. (I am interested in reading Ryders book though)
Calendar–would like a month view for reference
Daily Pages–being able to record tasks for that day that are in my task manager
Weekly and monthly reviews–this will help me maintain areas of focus and clarity in regards to what I have accomplished and what still needs to be.

(Jonathan Ball) #4

Does anyone have any planner suggestions? I’ve tried Michael Hyatt’s Full Focus Planner and while I think it is great, it doesn’t fit my workflow. I’m a restaurant manager and my workweek isn’t M-F. This is the design of the planner which is a let down.
I’ve tried bullet journaling and there isn’t enough structure there.
I’ve tried Moleskines planner. The paper is very thin and the day sections are very small.
I’m currently trying a day timer. Not fully satisfied but I just started with it Monday.
If anyone has a great system, let me know. Thanks!

(Justin DiRose) #5

I personally haven’t seen any printed planners that have this exact structure. They tend to be daily, weekly, or monthly focused.

A few things that come to mind:

• Have you considered designing your own and printing them? It would be pretty easy to do with a software like Microsoft Word or Pages and a three ring binder.
  • Do you need to have it all in one book? Or can some of it (i.e the stuff you’re not accessing regularly) live in a digital format on your phone? This way you might be able to find a planner that meets your desires for the stuff you need regularly.

I’m not sure if I can come up with a specific product recommendation right now. I personally haven’t tried anything but the bullet journal method (which you can structure yourself if you wanted to). I don’t know if anyone else has used something similar to what you’re looking for, either.

(Mike N) #6

Have you looked at Hobonochi’s line?

They have several variations of planner. I think the Techo is very similar to what you are describing.

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-the-hobonichi-techo-planner/pt/900

(Jonathan Ball) #7

Thank you for that suggestion. Techo is very close to what I’m looking for. Looks like a full year planner and cover ranges around $77 which isn’t bad at all.

(Ed M) #8

I use the Kokuyo Jibun Techo Biz Diary, which is similar to the Hobonochi, at a lower price point. It does not have daily pages – weekly only – but there are plenty of options from full-year view down to weekly. The paper is thin, which @jondavid82 mentioned as a concern. Lightweight paper is common with Japanese planners.

(Jonathan Ball) #9

The pages seem very busy. I am very intrigued by these products though. I remember listening to an episode of Cortex and Myke Hurley mentioned using the Hobonichi Techo. Didn’t do any research on them at that time though.