Collecting Collections

Collecting Collections

(Joe Buhlig) #1

As a follow-up to last week, there has been quite the interest in the concept of a digital commonplace. I’ve been hearing more and more people interested in trying the concept and I’d love to hear from you if you’re in that camp. Just reply to this newsletter and let me know what you’re working on.

And as a reference, you can find mine here. Drew’s is here. And a long time follower, Justin, started one here.

What I’m reading

Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

As expected, I’m still working on this one. The conference last week was great for the mind and soul but terrible for reading my books.

Podcasts

BW - 42: How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler

It’s finally here. An episode about how to read a book. And what better way to cover the topic than to read a book about it.

Books added to the list

Nothing new added this week.

Interesting Productivity Guild topics

Preventing RSI

We’ve decided that the Guild can be expensive. Too many awesome product recommendations.

My Things 3 Setup and Workflow

Curtis took the time to spell out his Things 3 setup. It’s a pretty cool structure.

Words That Challenge

Cortex #62: 2018 Yearly Themes - Relay FM

Looking back on 2017, I realized I was in a similar boat as Grey. The year was chaotic in many ways. But I’m not one to do yearly themes (though I’ve considered it many times) so adopting The Year of Order isn’t something I’ll do. But I do like his catch phrase for it, “The work isn’t the work. The system is the work.” It’s very similar to the concept of building habits instead of projects. I can get behind that.

Experiments

Meditation

I’ve altered what I’m doing for this slightly. I still do a 10-minute stretch but instead of focusing on my breathing for that time, I’m focusing on a specific topic that I choose when I sit down. I’ll know the results of that alteration sometime next week likely.

Morning Pages

Rinse and repeat. With the men’s conference last week, I was exhausted and slept in every day I could. So no Morning Pages for Joe.

If you'd like these in your email, you can either subscribe here on the Guild or via my website.