Bullet Journal Method

Bullet Journal Method

(Ja'acov Goldberg ) #1

Any thoughts or experience? thank you

(Jennifer) #2

My main thought is “HOLY COW THAT’S EXPENSIVE!!” :smile:

The most appealing thing to me about bullet journals is that they can be implemented with very little cost - all you need is a place to write stuff down and a writing implement to write with. Spending $13-17 on a book seems like a lot.

(Justin DiRose) #3

It’s a book on how to do Bullet Journaling. If you want to dig in, that may be a quick way. Otherwise, there are hundreds of posts on the web about how to get into it!

Here’s a link to the book for anyone’s interest: Bullet Journal Method

(Wilson Ng) #4

If this <$20 book will boost me up to gain an extra $100 a day, I’d take the chance to read the book!

(Jennifer) #5

True, except there’s no guarantee of that kind of ROI. If the author guaranteed that ROI, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Actually if the author guaranteed an extra $100 per day, I’d buy the book for much more than $20.

My issue is the variable costs for ebooks are virtually nothing, so charging $14 for the Kindle edition is a lot. But I know that publishers have their tacit collusion that can’t be proven except for the costs we see as consumers.

But this has nothing to do with productivity. It has to do with curmudgeonliness - GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Wilson Ng) #6

I don’t think the author ever guaranteed anything. Sorry, that was just me talking.

There are hidden fees. I think the authors have to pay a little bit for every ebook sold because Amazon offered their Kindle store as a worldwide store to give the author access to millions of users around the world. The author pays to get their app on the Kindle store. There’s a little commission fee that Amazon takes out for every Kindle sale. Amazon also has the right to yank that book off the Kindle store and deprive the author of the privilege of using the Kindle Store to sell the author’s books.

Books are like software apps. It’s not a physical product. I pay $14 to the author because he spent hours and hours going through different permutations of the Bullet Journal. He’s done all the hard work of distilling his hundreds of hours of research so that I don’t have to try to figure it out on my own.

I just recently bought @Sparky’s Siri Shortcuts Video Field Guide. It was worth every penny. Sure, I could try to figure out Siri Shortcuts on my own. But I just paid Sparks so that he could teach me what he’s already figured out. Otherwise, I’d have to spend hundreds of hours trying to figure something out and he already had a solution.

I envision books like a teacher or workshop. I paid David Sparks the sum of $24.00 for the Siri ShortCuts Guide. I invited him to my house and my computer and he taught me everything I needed to know. He did all the hard work and now I sit in front of my computer watching him explain to me how to boost my Siri Shortcuts Jedi skills.

Buy the Kindle book for $14 is an easy way to invite Ryder Carroll to your house and let him tell you what he’s discovered about the thought processes that went into the Bullet Journal. Yes, I could get all the Bullet Journal content for free by Googling like crazy. Or I can have one book that will explain the Bullet Journal. The basic foundation is there. All those other YouTube videos and blog posts build on the original source material.

Time is money and I don’t have that much time to Google away. I would imagine there are a lot of basic fundamentals of project and task management that goes into Carroll’s book.

A lot of the posts I write here took a lot of hours. I had to rethink a lot of my personal workflows and I challenged myself. I hope to save other people time by giving what I have to others. I share my posts with others and hopefully improve my own workflow and help others along the same road we’re all on.

If you have other books that you’ve found great ROI, please share with us. We’re always looking for new topics to discuss!

YMMV

(Jennifer) #7

I am a published author. I have several books that are sold on Amazon. My latest book is coming out very soon. I have published books as both an indie author and as a traditionally published author. You don’t need to explain or justify paying authors to me. I’m sure there are other people out there who could benefit from this knowledge, but I am not one of them.

(Beck Tench) #8

My thoughts, @Yaakov:

It’s a solid method, depending on your needs. IMO, it really excels at something few task management approaches try to do: putting notes and tasks in the same place. The bujo allows/requires that you combine them, which feels natural and helpful. The way he’s prescribed the bullets, it’s very scannable and easy to see what you haven’t done from day to day. It’s also, philosophically, a system that sort of burdens you on purpose. Re-writing tasks and migrating them here or there keeps them top of mind and gives you a chance to reassess. In general, I am a fan of such systems (YNAB is another with this philosophy).

In practice, I find it’s fun to do and, for a lack of a better phrase, it just feels right.

However, there is a definite shortcoming in the method: forecasting and long term projects are, in my experience, unwieldy. Planning a major event or complex project feels cumbersome and I never feel like I’m “on top of things.” Class assignments or fairly contained projects work great. More complex and farther reaching stuff seems to fall apart in my repeated attempts at being very disciplined with approaches he recommends (e.g. collections, future planning, etc.).

I use OF right now, but I still carry around a notebook everywhere. I use it to take notes and note tasks and then I’ll migrate those into OF. It’s not perfect, but I can’t give up the tactile “just feels right” quality of that system. I used the bujo method for over 3 years and if my project load simplifies, I’ll probably go back.

It’s worth well the price in my opinion, but Ryder’s made it all available for free online. And of course, there’s always your trusty local library. For me, I pre-ordered a copy just to support him and to see how he operationalized the method in a book-style format. I think his method is a real gift to the task management world and am glad he chose to share it so widely and beautifully.

(Curtis McHale) #9

I’ve got mine coming but I’ve been doing something like Bullet Journalling for a while now. You can read exactly what I do here.

Ultimately, you can probably grab all the information if you want to dig around through a bunch of blog posts. That’s the same for any book out there though. The point is, you don’t have to waste time on 52 blog posts.